Leipzig’s recent injection of youthful zest has led it to rival even Berlin for trendiness. A new wave of cool has spread south as people realise the living costs are far more manageable and the surroundings just as pleasing. The term ‘Hypezig’ has even been coined to describe the rise in recognition. However, this is by no means a ‘new’ destination. Leipzig has played an important part in Germany’s history from the Battle of Nations up to the country’s re-unification in 1989.
At its heart, though, it is a cultural centre spurred on by the compositions of famous sons Bach, Mendelssohn and Wagner – not to mention the men themselves. Its home to one of the most important opera houses in all of Germany, regularly holds orchestral performances and festivals, and even has a music trail that joins some of these must-see spots together. The culture doesn’t stop there either. Art is a big deal here too as showcased by a number of fascinating galleries.
Day 1 - Depart UK - Berlin - Leipzig
Day 2-4 - Leipzig
• Museum of Fine Arts – This futuristic building boasts works by Dürer, Rembrandt and Rubens.
• St. Thomas Church – 800 years of history have seen such immortal figures as Martin Luther and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart step through the doors.
• Bach Museum – It would be wrong to visit a city with such great musical heritage without learning of one of the greats. Bach was Leipzig’s music director and here you can see sheet music, documents and even instruments that he once used.
• Opernhaus – Spend an evening at this revered opera house, a breathtaking venue with excellent acoustics.
• Mädler-Passage – This shopping arcade is more than just a place to grab gifts and souvenirs. It celebrates Leipzig as a centre of commerce and culture.
Day 5 - Leipzig - Berlin - Arrive UK
- Return flights from the UK
- Return rail travel from Berlin to Leipzig Central Station
- Daily breakfast
- 4-star accommodation
What's NOT Included
- Single rooms are subject to availability at the relevant supplement.
*LEAD IN PRICES ARE BASED ON THE BELOW DATES OF TRAVEL. DON'T forget we can tailor your departure to your chosen date and departure point.
CALL 0800 988 3369 or enquire below to find out more.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
© Fred. Olsen Travel.
Registered in England and Wales No. 02287241. Olympus House, 2 Olympus Close, Ipswich, IP1 5LN
Bonded by the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) and by the Civil Aviation Authority's Air Travel Organisers Licensing (ATOL) scheme, you can look forward to your next adventure with the peace of mind that your money is financially protected in the event of unforeseen circumstances.
Reasons to book with us... Financial protection afforded by our ABTA and ATOL industry bonding, giving you complete peace of mind.
Dedicated team of experienced travel advisors waiting to tailor your holiday to your personal requirements.
We can arrange all of your car hire, airport lounges and much more to make your holiday as easy as possible.