This part of Germany was once alive with the sound of industry. Coal mines and steelworks across the region were the working hub of North Rhine-Westphalia until global trade routes opened up and caused a need to rethink. However, industrious as the people are here, the Ruhr Valley was able to re-invent itself as a destination for culture – so much so that, in 2010, the entire area was named a European Cultural Capital. This was done by giving places like Zollverein Coal Mining Complex a new lease of life and a more modern purpose – in this case, a museum and ice skating venue. The biggest city in the Ruhr is one that wears its passion for football on its sleeve. Dortmund is not only home to one of the most successful German teams but also the German Football Museum. Elsewhere, it’s dominated by art venues, castles and churches that are interspersed with a surprising number of green spaces. Whilst modern businesses have now moved into town, the signs of an industrial past are still there for all to see.
Day 1 - Depart UK - Dortmund
Day 2-3 - Dortmund
• WestfalenStadion – If you love football, you’ll jump at the chance to tour a football ground known in the game as one of the most atmospheric.
• Botanischer Garten Rombergpark – The landscaping of this public park is purposefully designed to be romantic and offer spaces for tranquil reflection. • Reinoldikirche – This beautiful Gothic church in the city centre features wooden statues of Charlemagne and Saint Reinold (to whom it is dedicated) at the entrance. • Hohensyburg Castle – Now in ruin, the castle can be found on Syberg hill on the outskirts of Dortmund. It houses a memorial to Kaiser Wilhelm. • Zollverein Coal Mining Complex, Essen – Travel to nearby Essen to see this UNESCO World Heritage Site and learn about the Ruhr Valley now and at its industrial peak.
Day 4 - Dortmund - Arrive UK
- Return flights from the UK
- Private overseas transfers
- 4-star accommodation
What's NOT Included
- Single rooms are subject to availability at the relevant supplement.
*LEAD IN PRICES ARE BASED ON THE BELOW DATES OF TRAVEL. DON'T forget we can tailor your departure to your chosen date and departure point.
CALL 0800 988 3369 or enquire below to find out more.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
© Fred. Olsen Travel.
Registered in England and Wales No. 02287241. Olympus House, 2 Olympus Close, Ipswich, IP1 5LN
Bonded by the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) and by the Civil Aviation Authority's Air Travel Organisers Licensing (ATOL) scheme, you can look forward to your next adventure with the peace of mind that your money is financially protected in the event of unforeseen circumstances.
Reasons to book with us... Financial protection afforded by our ABTA and ATOL industry bonding, giving you complete peace of mind.
Dedicated team of experienced travel advisors waiting to tailor your holiday to your personal requirements.
We can arrange all of your car hire, airport lounges and much more to make your holiday as easy as possible.