The majority of places visited on a cruise will lie on the coast, making them easily accessible to ships and their passengers. However, cruises also visit certain destinations which are situated slightly inland, stopping in so called ‘gateway’ ports and then transferring guests via coach, train or other means. This means that a port featured on an itinerary that you may not have heard of before, could actually be the starting point for a visit to somewhere much more well-known.
But how well do you know your gateway ports? Take our quiz to find out.
1. Your Mediterranean cruise features a stop in Civitavecchia, but which city are you likely to be exploring? Rome, Barcelona, Montpellier
2. When she made her debut in 2017, Norwegian Joy had her homeport in both Shanghai and Tianjin, but for which Far Eastern city is the latter the gateway? Seoul, Osaka, Beijing
3. Many of Disney Cruise Line’s ships depart from Port Canaveral, but which nearby city could you easily explore before you set sail? Miami, Orlando, Tampa
4. You book a cruise Down Under which is due to stop in the port of Fremantle. Which of these Australian cities will be just a short train journey away? Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane
5. You know your cruise is set to visit Athens, but you can’t see it on the itinerary. Which gateway port will be listed instead? Patras, Piraeus, Perama
6. The gateway port of Callao is used to visit the capital city of which South American country? Chile, Peru, Venezuela
7. Which UK port is commonly used to visit Glasgow? Greenock, Kirkcaldy, Ayr
8. Which Asian city are you likely to visit from a stop in Port Klang? Ho Chi Minh, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur
9. Tourists exploring the Tuscan cities of Florence Pisa will stop where, before transferring inland? Livorno, Genoa, La Spezia
10. A stop in the port of St. Helier will give you the perfect opportunity to explore which British island? Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey
If you would like to visit any of these gateway ports, in the hope of exploring what lies inland, call our helpful team today and they will find your perfect cruise.
1. Rome 2. Beijing. 3. Orlando 4. Perth 5. Piraeus 6. Peru 7. Greenock 8. Kuala Lumpur 9. La Spezia 10. Jersey